Fluxbox is a much, much lighter, cleaner, faster, and simpler GUI that requires less memory and runs well on older computers.

However, 2 gigs of memory should be plenty for Trisquel-mini or even the customized Gnome shell (Trisquel desktop), so I'm wondering if there is something else going on besides an older, low resource machine.

Do you know your processor speed by any chance? If not, could you type "cat /proc/cpuinfo" into a terminal window and copy/paste the results into a forum window so we can get a better idea of how much power your machine has?

The other window manager you have installed is LXDE, which is what is used on Lubuntu, and Openbox is a minimal GUI that might be useful for diagnosing what's going on, but is a bit basic for most users as a stand alone and not something that I personally have a lot of experience with.

It is possible to run Trisquel on a Mac. My eight year old's best friend might have some good links or tips for you.