Thanks Adfeno. From reference [1] I conclude the problem is Debian is not on the list of FSF endorsed distributions. Freedombox is composed of free software as far as I can see. Debian without non-free repositories is free software too. Given there is no alternative that is more freedom respecting than Freedombox for a plug server, I do not see how it would be unethical for me to recommend it. I even wonder if it could be setup on Trisquel (not sure if all the dependencies are in the Trisquel repos). The conclusion though is Freedombox can be run without proprietary software. Is this correct?