> But then it is a delicate balance between lulling into false sense
> of security and discouraging into abandoning security. I
> acknowledge that new users might not be able to differentiate the
> subtleties and can get over- or under-optimistic (both being
> equally bad) rather easily.

I think the solution is actually the one you proposed a few messages ago.
Identify what threats there are and which ones can and cannot be addressed, how
to address the ones that can and what is missing to address the ones that
can't. Stress the importance of doing what is possible while acknolwedging
current limitations.

> OTOH, old users need to discuss things somehow, while not
> inadvertantly causing a false impression (+ or -) on new users
> about security and privacy.

I think this is partially related to having many discussions that while
relevant to many Trisquel users do not belong in a forum/mailing list for tech
support. I think that these discussion are very worthwhile, but need to heppen
in a separate forum on the same site. The closest we have is the troll lounge,
but that has negative connotations and also contains a lot of threads that are
jokes.

> I believe in "beating it up", as I believe it *is* the natural
> evolution path of FOSS.

Exactly, there is no silver bullet.

> Well, it may work well in dedicated circles, but in a general forum
> where there are people from every walks of life, perhaps some
> healthy dose of euphemism would be a more suitable approach. The
> thing is, I'm not that type, and if I try that way, it will simply
> not stick on me (because it is not me), rather it will stick out
> like a sore finger.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the way you've been communicating.
Some recent threads have become very difficult to follow and it has been
difficult to keep track of who said what, but everything I recall reading from
you has been thoughtful and interesting.