> Why are you a vegan? Veganism can cause all kinds of problems,
including
> depression, if you don't do it right. Especially make sure you're
getting
> enough fat in your diet.

(1) This state/cycle of depression has existed long before I have been
vegan
(2) I'm definitely getting generous amounts of fat in my diet

> Veganism is also very expensive to get right.

No.

http://www.bitesizevegan.org/bite-size-vegan-nuggets/qa/vegan-on-a-budget-my-top-10-tips/

https://health.gov/dietaryguidelines/2015/guidelines/appendix-5/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cQq7nrCkqY

https://www.reddit.com/r/vegan/wiki/dieteticorgs

https://www.eatrightpro.org/-/media/eatrightpro-files/practice/position-and-practice-papers/position-papers/vegetarian-diet.pdf?la=en&hash=13D2FB5B600CF0778F6FE12B50ED9CE2645CAEF9

http://www.kphealthyme.com/Healthy-Eating-Active-Living-Programs/Education-libraries/Plant-Based-Diet.aspx

https://share.kaiserpermanente.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/The-Plant-Based-Diet-booklet.pdf

https://nutritionstudies.org/plant-based-on-a-budget/

>  > When I bring this up, people don't understand, and they get irritated
>  > because I'm inconveniencing them.
>
> So, you tell them that you refuse to use a computer? In what context?

"Hey, let's all play a game.  Cal, here's you're controller."

"No thanks, I'm good just watching."

"OK..."

* * *

"Hey, everybody else is gone.  Wanna play now?"

"No, thanks.  Find anything cool in the game?"

"Yeah, I got a star!"

"Oh, that's good."

"And look at what I can do!" [Demo.]

"Oh, wow.  Those are some really nice effects, and I like how you can
do everything much quicker than in the old version."

"Wanna play now?"

"No, but I like watching."

"Then I don't wanna play either..."

"You didn't have to do that."

"No, it's not worth it if I don't have anybody to play with."

"Sorry..." ........ "Well, would you like to watch that series you
like?" [holds up flash drive with videos on it]

"OK, I guess..."

>  > I insist on finding a torrent for them and downloading it first,
though.

> NO. Wrong.
>
> What they have on their computer is their business. If someone
offers to
> watch a movie with you, unless they're asking you to provide the
movie, shut
> up about how you're going about doing it. This is not an appropriate
context
> to inject your politics. Just watch the movie with them. You can't
refuse to
> have a good time with people because of mistakes they are making on
their own
> computers.

Yes.  Very much so.  I don't care which program they play the videos
with.  That is their business and I do not comment on it at all.

But Netflix is an entirely different matter.  There are huge network
effects, with even bigger consequences than Discord or Facebook Messenger.

But all this is a moot point, because the videos were being played on
MY computer.  Even loading Netflix is MY responsibility.

>  > However, if they want to do something with me using computers, their
>  > programs will have to support standard protocols that I can
>  > interoperate with. Google's instant messenger used to do this.
>
> This is valid ONLY if it involves YOUR computer.

Correct.  At work, I use Outlook to send internal emails.

> But if your computer is not involved in any
> way, it's none of your business and it's inappropriate to inject your
> politics into it.

I've never been in a situation where I've used a communication program
on someone else's computer for my own communication.  That's just weird.

>  > However, DRM streaming is way more serious than that.
>
> It doesn't matter. It's their computer, so it's none of your business.

> Watching a movie that happens to be streaming through Netflix does
nothing.
> The activity that contributes to market pressure is your friend
sending money
> to Netflix. That's unfortunate, but it's still none of your business
and
> inappropriate to inject your politics into it.

By placating the demand for a movie with Netflix, you are not
practicing the demand for DRM-free movies, and the market will stop
bothering to provide them with that lack of demand.  Watching Netflix
destroys the market supply of DRM-free movies.

>  > If everything starts to become a Netflix Original, sound bites and
>  > movie clips will cease to exist.
>
> Let me give an analogy: climate change. The issue of climate change
has some
> people believing that driving cars is destroying the planet, and
some people
> believing that it's all a hoax. Both of these groups are wrong, but
consider
> the former group. How many friends do you think they would make if
every time
> someone offered them a ride, they refused to do so and insisted on
instead
> using their own electric car powered by solar panels? People who
don't think
> that cars are such a massive deal would get annoyed pretty fast and
> eventually just stop inviting them to events.

This doesn't follow.

>  > The most I say on the issue is that I
>  > don't do things "for very important personal reasons."
>
> Can you give an example, with context?

Work sends a link to a web app to my personal email.

"Hey, I know you sent that link to my personal email, but could I do
it here?"

"Maybe, why?"

"Uh, my computer is really old and crashed when I tried visiting the
page."

"Oh, OK.  I'll see what we can do."