I do not know if you served your country or not ,Dave, but if you did, one of the first items of information recorded about you was your "religeous preference" . It is on file.  It may even be noted in some way on your dog tags, I am not sure.  It's been a long time.  This I do know.  You get the marker that describes who you claim to follow.  It is not a one size fits all thing.

Dave Hansen wrote:
it indicates that the deceased desired to be recognized as a Christian

DAVEH:   Whew.........that's a pretty broad brush you are painting with, Terry.  Do you think the guys who were buried in this cemetery

.........were asked if they wanted to be recognized as a Christian before they died?  To me that seems a bit of a stretch.

No one gets a cross that does not want one.

DAVEH:   Do you really believe that, Terry.  Look at this website............

............Over 9300 dead buried there.    Do you think they refused to bury the guys in Normandy who did not want to be recognized as a Christian???  I suspect that if you died on the Normandy beaches, and were subsequently buried there.....you got a cross whether you were Christian or atheist.   Do you disagree?   (BTW....You will notice a single Star of David in the middle forefront of the picture.)

Terry Clifton wrote:
In a national cemetery, Dave, you will see the cross over those who claimed to be Christians and a star of David over those who were Jewish.  As I pointed out before, many people claim to be Christians who are not.  They are wannabees who have the desire but not the faith.  The cross does not guarantee that the person was born again, but it indicates that the deceased desired to be recognized as a Christian, and the government honored their desire.  No one gets a cross that does not want one.  I do not know what they put over a Mormon's grave.  Perhaps you could enlighten us.

Dave Hansen wrote:
DH, your assessment of the world's point of view on this is neither accurate

DAVEH:  I assume you saw the picture of the cemetery with all the crosses on it, John?  (If not, I've posted it below.)   Do you think those crosses indicate that those buried below them are Christians?

    Perhaps I am wrong, but as I see it most Christians are myopic in their religious perspective.  I think much of this is based on their Biblical steadfastness in believing in the only true living God in such a narrow sense that all others are of a minority status and their perspective is not really relevant.  Therefore, it is easy for Christians who are surrounded by other similar thinking Christians to perceive the world revolves around their Christian theology.  So, when most Christians see a cross, their immediate perception is one of Jesus due to their lives being immersed in Christian culture, and hence I believe they tend to impose their presupposed believes upon others of whom they do not consider their cultural, historical or religious background.  (I have noticed a similar effect with the way many Christians impose their religious perceptions on what they think LDS folks believe....and often times simply get it wrong due to their biases.)

     Consider that only about a third (2 billion) of the world is Christian, and two-thirds (4 billion) are non-Christian..........

--
Dave Hansen