My recent comments in Green.
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 2:40 PM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] apostles and prophets

David  --  this post causes me some concern.   Aaahh,  but I will limit my response to your comments.  Read on.
P.S.   Yes, I am writing this note after beginning my response.   I have a three hour treadmill thingy  to do at 12:30.   I must get ready .

From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> John wrote:
> > I do believe that the apostles had a measure
> > of the Spirit that was in addition that of the
> > gifts of the Spirit
>
> The apostolic office is characgterized by special signs and wonders, yes, So I am right to say that the biblical record presents an unique performance on the part of the apostles.
> but this should not be characterized as you have done here. Read 1 Cor. 12
> for the proper perspective of apostles to the rest of the body of Christ.
> Why not state my 'characterization."   I would be will to bet money that you have it wrong.   You introduce I Co 12  so others will think you are actually quoting scritpure, when, in fact,  you have given us nothing to consider.

I did state your characterization.  You characterized it as, "the apostles had a measure of the Spirit that was in addition that of the gifts of the Spirit."  1 Cor. 12 discusses spiritual manifestations and administrations of the Holy Spirit in a more equal way, explaining diversity, never attributing some to having had a greater measure of the Spirit.  It teaches us that upon the less seemly parts we bestow more abundant honor.  Then it lists offices in an ordering of priorities, with apostles first, then prophets, then teachers, and after teachers the other manifestations that you apparently accept as long as they are not "faith healings," whatever that means.  Nowhere in this text does it speak about apostles passing away in the first century.  Apostles are listed right there along with teachers, a characterization that appears different to me than the way your teaching about them comes across.

> John wrote:
&g t; > ... the 7 deacons could not do anything of a
> > miracluous nature before the apostles layed
> > hands on them.
>
> Mere speculation on your part, which flies in the face of church tradition  and historical writings. Furthermore, the Scriptures themselves suggest  otherwise when they describe these men already as men of faith, filled with  the Holy Ghost. No more speculative than your position.  What church tradition do you have in mind?   What is your source on 'historical writings?"
I've already mentioned some of them... the writings of the church fathers, such as Hippolytus.

> John wrote:
> > Miracles do continue in the church to this day
> > but to the exclusion of "faith healings."
>
> An effeminate remark which even the female founder of your church has  disagreed with. If you had a picture of me, you would accuse me of "effeminate" anything.  Apparently you honor Semple as some kind of authority within the Christian co mmunity.   I do not.
I find it strange that you carry these non-Pentecostal doctrines while being part of a Pentecostal church and representing yourself to others as a Pentecostal.  You proudly affiliate with the Four Square church, but go against the founder's theology so forcefully, much like many Methodists today do against John and Charles Wesley.  I've just not seen it much in Pentecostal circles like this, so you are hearing from me about it.  Your readings are obviously not from Pentecostal theologians.  You appear very reticent to share their names with us.

> John wrote:
> > There is no more impartation of scripture.
>
> Speculation and presumption, which might be right, but it has no basis of  authority. Now, right,  I have to believe that you have, once again, found yourself to be in theological pickle  (see how much better I do when I stick with bibilcial considerations and avoid discussions on "logic" and the like?)  You admit that the apostle do have uniques powers and appear to agree that there is no more scripture ("..you might be right ..")  --  but, well,  if you agreee totally, you don't get to right in a discussion with John the Dufus so you speak of "speculation, preseumption   ...  [and] no basis of authority"  for believing that the Bible is closed any additional scripture  ------------  somethin I actually believe YOU believe.    But save facr if you must.  It just makes you look a little silly.
It makes me look silly to the neo-orthodox theologians who have their own dogma and creeds that keep their little clique going, but for lovers of truth, what I say is far from silly.  I only ask you to examine your assumptions fairly, but instead you resort to scoffing and pretending as if I am in some kind of theological pickle.  Dave Hansen and Blaine have many times raised this issue of whether the Scriptures are closed, but you just don't seem to acknowledge when you make assumptions about this subject and when you have a sure foundation for it.

the Ephesian church for testing false apostles  if John was the last one?  Because Ephesians was written  years before the passing of the apostles????????  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   You are losing it , David.

I'm talking about the book of Revelation, John, not Ephesians.  Where does the epistle to the Ephesians mention testing false apostles?  I'm talking about Rev. 2:2.  This was written late I think.  I assume you believe that too, but Lance probably goes for an early date considering his amillennial eschatology.

Why would there be any testing at this time if
> John was to be the last apostle? there's a good chance all of the apostles are still alive at this point in time.

I think of the 12, there was only John left at the time Revelation was written.  Nevertheless, I do believe that there were other apostles still alive at the time because they were testing them.  The Didache mentions other apostles and gives tests for determining true apostles and prophets from false ones too.  Your theology about apostles has great difficulty with church history and tradition, relying upon the ignorance of our modern culture with these early writings.

I have known personally two men who have been raised from the dead. I have  met apostles who have reported to me experiences of raising the dead, of  people being healed as they walked by, and who have had cloths taken to the  sick and seen them healed. Just because you have met false apostles does  not mean they are all false apostles. I have met false apostles too.

And now wee come to the difficult part.   You cannot and do not deal with issues I have raised with a continued discussion of the biblical text.  Rather, you turn to personal testimony.

Excuse me, John, but you are the one who turned this to personal testimony.  I was responding to your lack of personal observations being put forward as evidence that there are no apostles today.  Why is it fair for you to claim you have never met one, and not fair for me to testify about my experience?

The problem is complicated by the fact that I believe that God can raise the dead in this day and time.

Yes, this is a "complication" I encounter all the time with Baptists who say they believe in healing, just not faith healers.  What's the difference between me and the Baptist who prays for healing?  I pray expecting to see the person healed, so now I am suddenly labeled a faith healer, sometimes accused of practicing medicine without a license, and the poor Baptist who prays not expecting any results unless God answers despite his unbelief is the truly Biblical one because he does not presume to believe that God will heal anyone.

We have prayed for   people who were technically "dead" who came back.. Such a miracle is credited to prayer.   No one has ever been raised the mortuary's   slabe, however.  But let's not get into personal argument on this issue.   I do not and will never accept modern day testimony on these matters apart from  personal verification.   I cnanot.

You sound just like Thomas.  Fair enough, but don't criticize those of us who believe without personal verification.  Jesus said, "because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they who have not seen, and yet have believed."

I am a pastor and what I say is beleive by others.   So I will not speak from your experience.   Sorry.   Nothing personal.   Our experiences, apparently , are vastly different.   And within the Four Square commu nity,  I am verymuch at home.   This would be their stance as well.

I don't expect you to speak from my experience.  I only hope for you to hear me and to believe my testimony.