On Thursday, May 5, 2016 at 1:08:00 AM UTC+2, Vincent Bastos wrote:

> Hey Cedric,
>

>> I can understand that Australia doesn't care about invoice numbering
>> because they doesn't have VAT. But in Netherlands, I have some doubt, it
>> is not because a software allow to do it that it is the truth. By the
>> way, are you sure that the accounting date is really in the past?
>>

> Just thought I would point out that Australia does have VAT - it is just
> called GST. But maybe you were pointing out the fact that some businesses
> are allowed to operate without collecting GST.
>
> --
> *Vincent Bastos*
> *Lava Lab Software* <http://www.lavalab.com.au>

Hi Vincent,

This reply is also for Cedric but I don't know how to reply his answer from
5/5. This is because I am more an accountant than a ict developer and
that's also the reason why I was a bit disappointed to the invoice
sequences in Tryton.

In my opinion their cannot be much discussion.
Accountancy principles are in the big lines worldwide the same. Not much
discussions.
The invoice date is the date that is written on the invoice, the
invoice-date. It is a dependency of all rights and obligations of the
invoice.
The account-date is a mechanism for ict developers to put all bookings in
the right statements period, mostly month and year.

When a new year is started, many companies make invoices for deliveries in
the previous year. Some of these invoices have the invoice date in the new
year, some in the previous year.
In the financial applications that I know, every year has a starting
invoice number, as first invoice number for that year, thats much larger
than the previous year. E.g 2014 10000, 2015 20000, 2016 30000 etc. The
user can change these first numbers per year, some times must make them.
Making an invoice at 28 February 2016 with 31 December 2015 as invoice date
will get the next free number of 2015 e.g. 20446.
Making an invoice at 28 February 2016 with 28 February 2016 as invoice date
will get the next free number of 2016 e.g. 30098.
So I never heard any problem with invoice numbers and invoice dates.

Apparently there can be a problem when we want to make an invoice in/for a
period that is already locked and our controller or accountant accepts no
unlock because that period has already definitive statements. In that case
he himself has to say how to solve this problem. Maybe the account date
must be changed to a date in this year.

Pieter