We can debate the "public figure" aspect and how it relates to
children of same in many ways.  There was once a Washington DC
journalist who thought Margaret Truman was indeed a public figure of
the era; her father thought otherwise and expressed that POV in a very
public way.  Regardless, Bristol Palin wasn't always 18, especially
during the campaign. But she has since crossed into the same zone that
the Bush daughters did---not quite needing the shelter of a child, not
quite ready for an adult spotlight. Should she be kept away from
public events until she's finished with graduate school, much like
Chelsea Clinton? Somehow I imagine that's a topic for both parenting
conferences and J-school forums.

You're right about my viewership of The Late Show; since I've been
lacking a clear CBS signal for a few years now (perhaps even since the
days when I was regularly invited to fire up a Colortini), I'm reduced
to clip highlights in other arenas. But still, I'm guessing any jokes
he made about Mr Clinton still had more to do with his actions, not
his very nature of being (and I'm assuming he never made jokes about
him being an adult child of an alcoholic, or what kind of decisions
that prompts someone who is, to make). But the very fact that I have
to keep pointing out that distinction simply bolsters, not repudiates,
my initial claim of sexism.

The fact is that DL doesn't have to keep telling 'slutty women' jokes
in order to be guilty of what NOW has charged him to be.  The fact
that he did so once was probably enough.  [cf, Imus, Don; "nappy-
headed hoes"]


_____
On Jun 13, 12:56 am, PGage <[email protected]> wrote:

> Wow - I am impressed by your ability to completely ignore the salient points
> in this conversation. In your initial post you acknowledged that it is
> acceptable for comics to make jokes about public figures. You seem to not
> believe that Bristol Palin is a public figure. So that is the the point that
> we are debating here. You seem to believe that 18 year old single mother
> Bristol Palin, who was an active campaigner and campaign prop during her
> mother's campaign and has recently been hitting the talk show circuit
> talking about teen sex among other things is a privite figure, no different
> from Maila and Sasha Obama. I say you seem to believe these because you have
> not even attempted to support such assertions. I will grant that if Bristol
> is a private figure than the jokes about her were inappropriate (If Dave
> were to make similar jokes about my underage daughters, I would be somewhat
> pissed). Maybe you can tells us a little bit about why you believe this,
> given the ample record that indicates that she is a very public figure, and
> 18 years old.
>
> I also have to assume that you have not seen very many episodes of Dave's
> show; if you had, you would know that, even counting all of the jokes he
> told about George W Bush for 8 years, he has probably told more jokes (and
> more rude, tasteless, lowbrow and offensive jokes) about Bill Clinton and
> his generally male trait than he has about any other single person (Sarah
> Palin would not even register on a graph that included the number of
> tasteless Clinton jokes Dave has told). It simply is not true that Dave
> specializes in telling jokes about slutty women - indeed, it is the opposite
> of true.
--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
TV or Not TV .... Smart (TV) People on Ice!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "TV or Not TV" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/tvornottv?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to