On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 1:06 AM, pedegars <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> We can debate the "public figure" aspect and how it relates to
> children of same in many ways.  (SNIP)
>
> You're right about my viewership of The Late Show; since I've been
> lacking a clear CBS signal for a few years now (perhaps even since the
> days when I was regularly invited to fire up a Colortini), I'm reduced
> to clip highlights in other arenas. But still, I'm guessing any jokes
> he made about Mr Clinton still had more to do with his actions, not
> his very nature of being (and I'm assuming he never made jokes about
> him being an adult child of an alcoholic, or what kind of decisions
> that prompts someone who is, to make). But the very fact that I have
> to keep pointing out that distinction simply bolsters, not repudiates,
> my initial claim of sexism.
>
> The fact is that DL doesn't have to keep telling 'slutty women' jokes
> in order to be guilty of what NOW has charged him to be.  The fact
> that he did so once was probably enough.  [cf, Imus, Don; "nappy-
> headed hoes"]



I am forced to agree with Kevin's recent response to you. No hard feelings -
I just must have misinterpreted what you were after here. I thought you
wanted to engage in some kind of conversation about the topic, while you
seem to just want to state your view (over and over) without examining and
supporting the various elements of the argument. I hear you saying that
nobody should make jokes involving Bristol Palin, because you think she is a
private, not a public figure. I also hear you saying that nobody should make
jokes that sexualize women (I am not clear from you last response if you
think the hundreds of jokes Dave told about Bill Clinton sexualizing him are
acceptable).

I accept that these are your views. I think you are wrong on both counts.
Rather than just repeat "I think you are wrong" and let you repeat "I am
right", I find it more interesting and enlightening to try to examine the
underlying assumptions and assertions, see if there is any common ground or
room for movement, or at least just see things from a different perspective.
I see now that you are not really interested in that, so I won't keep asking
you to do it.

Since my jones for a good argument is unsatisfied, I will go trolling for
one with Kevin - always a good argument slut (sorry if I offended you with
that Kevin). The distinction between public and private figure gets close to
what I think is the difference between Baldwin's joke about Filipino mail
order brides and Dave's joke about Palin (mother and daughter). One way of
saying this is that within very broad limits, comic's do not, and shoult
not, take into consideration the "feelings" of public figures, or worry
about "offending" them (Public Figure is a fuzzy category, but at least I
mean celebrities and especially political figures). Lots of jokes were told
about Mike Tyson over the years, including about much of his very bad
behavior, and we don't care if it hurts his feelings - but I assume most
comics did not tell jokes about the tragic recent death of his young
daughter. If Bill Clinton were to make a speech in which he said that he
suffers from a very difficult and painful sexual addiction, and he found it
offensive, insensitive and inappropriate that David Letterman has made so
many jokes about it over the years, he would be (and should be) roundly
ridiculed. But if Dave just started telling jokes  on national TV about his
next door neighbor who keeps banging every young woman who comes through the
door to the great pain and humiliation of his wife and children, then it
would be Dave who would be (and should be) widely condemmed. Baldwin's joke
was different from this, in that it was not about any particular person (or,
if it was, it was about himself) - but in telling the joke he invoked a
phrase that, completely unintentionaly, offended a group of people, so he
apologized, I thought appropriately. Now, had Baldwin (for some reason) been
telling a joke specifically aimed at making fun of mail-order brides, or
people who use mail order brides, or people who become mail order brides,
then I don't think he should have apologized, no matter how many people he
offended. As it was it was the equivalent of farting in public, and he did
what many of us do, which is apologize (well, I just blame my younger
brother, but same thing).

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
TV or Not TV .... Smart (TV) People on Ice!
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "TV or Not TV" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/tvornottv?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to