On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 8:02 PM PGage <pga...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No it does not mean this. As I tried to argue a few days ago, your
> question is based on the false assumption that the critique of Apu is
> simply that ethnic comedy is wrong. That is simply not what the critique
> has been. Apu is not the same as Krusty or Willy or  Dr. Hibbert; most of
> the ethnic characters are involved in some ethnic humor or depiction, but
> also have some kind of complication or twist. The criticism of Apu is that
> he is based on a single, simplistic and condescending stereotype.

If the primary criticism truly is that Apu is more stereotypey (sp?) than
all the other stereotypical characters on the series, I find serious flaws
in that theory. If I were so inclined, I could go back to various episodes
wherein they explore Apu’s faith, his family, his patriotism, and where
they’ve taken him out of the Kwik E Mart to explore other vocations and
other social and cultural situations. But it is a cartoon whose reality
resets at the end of every episode, Apu will always work at the Kwik E
Mart, just as Moe will always tend bar at Moe’s. As stated already, I’m
willing to concede that if Indians are offended by the stereotype, their
offense carries far greater weight than my views. But the degree to which
Apu is a greater (or lesser) stereotype than what by now must be thousands
of stereotypes in the series is (no pun intended) a cartoonish claim.

Having South Asian voices in the writing room is not a statement that only
> members of an ethnic group can make jokes about that group, but an
> acknowledgement that in this particular case the runners of the show have
> failed for 30 years to fix this problem, so maybe they can’t be trusted to
> fix it on their own.

If the intent is to remove stereotypes from The Simpsons, they could pull
writers from every country in the UN into the writers room, and it still
won’t happen.

 Given the circumstances, anybody can become the subject of a joke. Given
the circumstances, jokes can involve playing off of stereotypes without by
itself being demonstrative of prejudice or intolerance. Don Rickles made a
career out of latching onto the stereotype of whomever or whatever was near
him and mining it for humor. And The Simpsons now has more episodes than
Gunsmoke, and almost every episode’s story consists of taking a stereotype
and bending it on its ear. Maybe as the rules or social acceptance get
rewritten, it’ll turn out that the humor of The Simpsons is no longer
appropriate. And I won’t deny the show’s quality isn’t what it used to be.
But, no, Apu is no better or worse than all the other stereotypes on the
show. If he has to go, so do the mobbed up Italian guy, the corrupt Irish
politician, the cheese eating surrender monkeys, and on and on. And maybe
that’s what will ultimately happen.