While this may be true I think it's a fringe case and not what we're
trying to get at here (although it could explain conflicting test
results....)

To summarize what we're looking for clarification on:
(example)
My server has 1 whitelisted IP and 1000 users.
It operates for 1 hour.
Each user makes an equal number of requests.

Is the limit 20 requests per user (= 20k per hour per ip)
or
Is the limit 20k per user (=20k per hour per user)

The only reason I'm kind of harping on this is that for the new app
I'm developing the latter would save me a lot of heartache and quite a
bit of money.

Cheers,

Bob