Favorites are like secret ballots. That has its place in society, but
it doesn't serve the same needs as standing behind some alpha primate
and banging your chest in time to stand behind his message. Favorites
mark things for personal consumption. They are contemplative and
reflective. It's done for self, so the secondary purpose as a
popularity meter is in dissonance with the perceived primary purpose.
Using favorites statistically *feels* like an invasion of privacy.

The new Retweet is expressive and *feels* like something that should be
measured for public consumption. The use is fully in line with consensus
building behaviors.

Right now "me too" posts are universally lame across all social media
as well as an unfortunate reality of human nature. They make some sense
for Twitter because of the characteristics of the medium, but there are
still some issues with that.

The Twitter community deals with this by making retweets value added
within the limits of the medium, whereas this functionality deals with
the root causes of why the "me too" impulse is contrary to accepted
standards of on-line behavior. The data structure is simple, so it will
save storage. It exposes a common key value for all retweets of a
message, so output *can* be filtered to save network and social
bandwidth. It will be simple to execute and the user interface will be
interpreted as implicit or explicit approval as needed by the users. It
will also be measurable, so the "me too" response is restored to its
proper role in democratic/primate behavior as a useful tool for consent
building and group behaviors.

Don't mistake me for an advocate; I'm dreading how this is going to
play out in media where it is less suited. No, what you are seeing here
is 100% grudging admiration. The savannah and "Down and Out in the
Magic Kingdom" are one step closer together for all of this. Probably
it did start out as an optimization, but this thing is going to be hot
whether we like it or not.

Chris

--

USAK now has more active games than any other judge of its kind.
This quarter, USAK members contributed over $200. Thank you!

Costs for second quarter 2009 are estimated at $262.
Your donation is appreciated (opens in PayPal):
                        http://tinyurl.com/USAK-Donate