yes. I consider that a pretty bug issue. If people can still do it the old
way, and add their graffiti, then the new method becomes less scientific and
actually creates issues.

see slide 13 from Oreilly here: http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596802813/
Oreilly folks are encouraging comments.

I really don't see why it cant mimic reply functionality while being a RT. I
click RT and the text shows up in the update textarea and I can edit, but
its still an "in_retweet_to_etc_etc" post.

The reply meme followed this. I hit reply and it takes me to the same place,
with a few meta bits defined. It seems odd that this usability is different
when there is already a behavior happening.