My only statements regarding ethics or morality is that with a list of 400K people, there will be many ways in which those 400K people interpret what you are doing.

So you were able to do 1700 emails so far, can you figure out what the limit is? At that point, I would probably use a carefully made screen playback tool to help automate what you are doing. It is not pretty, but it will get you the result you are after.