From the google docs on importing:

        • You can import 3,000 contacts at a time.
        • Non-ASCII or non-Latin characters may not be accepted.
        • Any information formatted as a group or distribution
          list won't transfer into your Gmail Contacts list.
        • Importing information that matches the email address
          of an existing entry will replace the information in your
          Contacts list with the most recently uploaded information.

Looks like you have about 133 files to split and script into it :)