This is a terrible idea.

1. It's unethical because Twitter users have never authorized Twitter
to use their email addresses in this way.  The TOS specifically states
"We claim no intellectual property rights over the material you
provide to the Twitter service. Your profile and materials uploaded
remain yours."  My profile is mine; that includes my email address.

2. It will drive users away from Twitter because they will start
getting email that says "Hey, we know you use Twitter!  Your account
name is @DWRoelands!  Follow us on Twitter!"  Users don't like having
their email addresses used in ways that surprise them; ESPECIALLY when
it results in marketing email that they didn't ask for.  Many users
will conclude (incorrectly) that Twitter sold their email addresses
and that's not the sort of press Twitter needs.

3. It's a spammer's dream; an email-validation system that not only
tells you which email addresses are probably good - it also gives you
a pile of Twitter usernames to auto-spam-follow.

As a developer and a user, I hope Twitter -never- implements this.