If duplicate tweets are the concern, then why are RT's on their way to
being a feature?

Abuse is the concern. Not duplicate content, right?

So a local restaurant can't setup a tweet to go out on Wednesdays to
remind their followers of 1/2 off appetizers? There's no ill intent
here, and they have businesses to run. Doesn't twitter want businesses
to foster it's platform? There's valid uses for recurring content
within reason. It's not realistic to ask users to come up with 52
unique headlines, hunt down the associated link and fire up the laptop
prior to happy to hour every Wednesday at 6:00 in order to get a
message out to people who opted to follow them.

What's the happy-medium here?