Hi Raffi,

maybe call me naive, but i for one, am not convinced the oauth experience
> has to suck.
>
> as mentioned before, i'm really open to having a discussion on how to make
> the oauth UX better.  many people have already, and i encourage others to
> just drop me a line if you have ideas...

I think you're missing the issue here. It's not whether or not oAuth has to
suck in the future for desktop/mobile apps. It's that oAuth sucks _today_
for desktop/mobile apps. And _today_ matters because it's today that Twitter
is penalizing new desktop and mobile apps that don't use oAuth by
withholding the source parameter (and thus the best form of organic
marketing possible for a Twitter app) from them.

So, yes, please let's keep on working on making oAuth better but, here's the
key thing: do not punish mobile and desktop developers today for not using
the current half-baked and solution that oAuth represents for desktop and
mobile apps.

My app is not going to sell as well because I cannot get the source
parameter because I will not use a technology that is not ready for prime
time on my mobile app.

This is not fair.

Talking about oAuth, getting suggestions, etc., is great. In the meanwhile,
please stop punishing new mobile/desktop apps and creating a terribly uneven
playing field with existing apps that can continue to integrate different
Twitter-related services seamlessly and take advantage of the organic
marketing that the source parameter provides without using oAuth.

Your call for an open discussion would be great under different
circumstances, but, in the face of the current penalty that that my app has
to live with, it just feels like a slap in the face.

Aral