Leveling the playing field is "elephant in the room" easy:

Immediately ignore the source parameter on all Basic Auth calls. Right
now. It's a 5-second coding job.

If Tweetie, TweetDeck, et al want their app name back in the tweets,
sure, they can have it by all means. As soon as they've converted
their apps over to OAuth.