I'm curious about this myself. One of the first things end users are
going to ask for is a way to block these ads from their timelines.
Don't kid yourself; there's a reason why AdBlock is such a popular
Firefox plugin.

Secondary question: Is the first step towards paid Twitter accounts,
where free users have to receive ads and paid users do not?  Straight
answers here would be appreciated.