The requirement for users to go from app to browser to app is untenable for
many of my users.  It is a major change to go from app to Safari and back to
app.  Many users actually think that it the app is less secure (rightly or
wrongly) because they have to exit it -- and go to the web -- in order to login.

Indeed, many of them do not understand the permissions that the oAuth system
asks for when they get sent to the Twitter page.  Unfortunately with a phone
like the iPhone you are dealing with many many users who are new to mobile
devices in general and just wish to use twitter from within their favorite apps
without the complications.

Would you say that oAuth is good enough for Twitterific or Chirpie, Tweetie?
Well, they are using xAuth.  All I wish to do is to provide my users with
identical (and what they see is easy -- and safe) method of using Twitter.
xAuth provides this.  oAuth does not.  Many users prefer a seamless experience
to that of adopting a protocol that causes such a jarring user experience --
regardless of the perceived safety of oAuth over xAuth.  Safety of one over the
other comes down to how much you trust the app.  It no longer comes down to how
much you trust Basic Auth.

I would have no problem if there was an even playing field where we could all
have our app "signatures" in the Tweet -- and all have the same user experience
where logins and permissions are concerned.  This is not the case.

Thanks for your input, though.

Jann