I consider it completely the opposite and that the oauth workflow is
more secure than the xauth one. To me seeing the Twitter website login
page shows me that only Twitter will see my login information and not
the client app itself

An xauth workflow the app should only pass it on in exchange for an
oauth token but there is nothing to stop them harvesting the
information in the meantime

Running the oauth workflow on the iPhone is not painful and can all be
done seamlessly from within your app itself. The user won't ben
confused either if you do it right