You don't have to go from app to browser, embed a UIWebView and then
in

- (BOOL)webView:(UIWebView *)webView shouldStartLoadWithRequest:
(NSURLRequest *)request navigationType:
(UIWebViewNavigationType)navigationType {

Look for your callback URL and read the query string and you'll be
authorised, then just remove the UIWebView and use your application.
The user never has to leave your app.

Then the user gets MORE security that xAuth because they can see they
are logging in on Twitter.com and not giving their password to an
arbitrary application, which could still save their password without
their knowledge.

On May 30, 8:35 am, Jann Gobble <janngob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The requirement for users to go from app to browser to app is untenable for 
> many of my users.  It is a major change to go from app to Safari and back to 
> app.  Many users actually think that it the app is less secure (rightly or 
> wrongly) because they have to exit it -- and go to the web -- in order to 
> login.
>
> Indeed, many of them do not understand the permissions that the oAuth system 
> asks for when they get sent to the Twitter page.  Unfortunately with a phone 
> like the iPhone you are dealing with many many users who are new to mobile 
> devices in general and just wish to use twitter from within their favorite 
> apps without the complications.  
>
> Would you say that oAuth is good enough for Twitterific or Chirpie, Tweetie? 
> Well, they are using xAuth.  All I wish to do is to provide my users with 
> identical (and what they see is easy -- and safe) method of using Twitter.  
> xAuth provides this.  oAuth does not.  Many users prefer a seamless 
> experience to that of adopting a protocol that causes such a jarring user 
> experience -- regardless of the perceived safety of oAuth over xAuth.  Safety 
> of one over the other comes down to how much you trust the app.  It no longer 
> comes down to how much you trust Basic Auth.
>
> I would have no problem if there was an even playing field where we could all 
> have our app "signatures" in the Tweet -- and all have the same user 
> experience where logins and permissions are concerned.  This is not the case.
>
> Thanks for your input, though.
>
> Jann
>
> On May 30, 2010, at 12:03 AM, Rich wrote:
>
>
>
> > You don't need xAuth to develop an iPhone app, oAuth workflow works
> > just fine.
>
> > Indeed I though xAuth was designed for clients without a decent mobile
> > browser which isn't the case on the iPhone
>
> > On May 29, 2:08 am, Jann <janngob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I sent an email in to api@ this week.  Got back a case # which, when
> >> clicked, requires me to login.  It then tells me that the case 
> >> #1008949does not exist.
>
> >> So, I logged in under the twitter account that created the app and
> >> created another ticket.  Got another ticket #1009859.  I am now
> >> wondering how long this is supposed to take.  (if the first one is
> >> invalid, then my new support case is now over 900 cases farther down
> >> in the queue.  :(
>
> >> Does anyone have any ideas?  I have seen (when searching on google)
> >> that some people say it takes upwards of a week to get the approval.
> >> I am stuck however because I cannot even test my iPhone app using this
> >> method. (I am usinghttp://aralbalkan.com/3133(xAuthTwitterEngine) to
> >> implement and I can see no method to begin even testing using my own
> >> account.
>
> >> Shouldn't there be some way to (at least) test your app using the
> >> username and password that was used to create the "Application" in
> >> question?
>
> >> Please give some insight.  Maybe I am missing something stupid.
>
> >> Thanks!
>
> >> Jann

Reply via email to