To clarify the situation with UTF-8 characters.

Special UTF-8 characters are treated the same as the standard
alphanumeric set, in that we will count each one as a single letter.
So a string like "wondering what's happening …" will be treated as 27
characters (without the quotes).

When we receive a Tweet with UTF-8 characters in it we convert them
into their HTML entity representation to ensure consistency between
clients and reliable storage in the databases. This means, when you
query the API, you may notice the Tweet has more than 140 characters
in it. This is expected and is a result of the UTF-8 conversion.

You can read more about how we count characters on the dev.twitter
site [1].

Hope that answers your questions,
Matt

1. http://dev.twitter.com/pages/counting_characters