Great; thanks for the clarification Matt. But I'm still having trouble
actually tweeting UTF-8 characters. If I tweet this:

"This is an @test … "

without quotes where you can see an actual ellipsis (single UTF-8
character), I get a successful response code (200), but nothing is
actually tweeted. If I tweet this:

"This is an @test ... "

without quotes where you can see just three dots, I get a successful
response code (200), and the tweet is actually successful.