Dossy:

Don't be so quick to condemn. I have an app that uses DMs and ALL DM
traffic is generated by users and they know it--so there is no
spamming. There are legitimate uses of DMs that users are OK with that
push an app beyond 250/day.

Think of it this way, if an application has 300 followers and they all
interact via private message (DM) one time per day, then 50 users will
be unable to communicate on any given day.