On that day when your users open up our various clients and see issues with
direct messages I suggest you insert your own DMs to your users with succinct
descriptions to the root of the problem and links to further info.

It looks like there is no way to prevent having to update apps for those that
can, but you certainly have the platform and your customer's eyeballs at the
exact point of failure to explain.

We all know not everyone is going to read the email we are all dreading to
send, at least this way we have another method to get the point to them at the
exact time they need it.