> > FYI, in FTP servers, Mode Z is used for ZLib'ed (deflate)
> > transfers.
> One question could be: should the client automatically decormpress
> the downloaded file or it should be done by the application?

Compression is transparent to the user when Mode Z is used, the client
sees an uncompressed file, this is all explained at:

http://ietfreport.isoc.org/all-ids/draft-preston-ftpext-deflate-03.txt

The fun part seems to be resumed transfers, part way through a
compressed file, not quite sure how that's implemented, particularly
when decompressing a partially downloaded file.  Also whether the file
is totally compressed before transfer.

I was downloading some 250 meg text files last week, that would have
been a lot less painful with compression.

Angus