On Oct 18, 2007, at 05:36, Ana Onarres wrote:

> I am confused. Clients is the property of TWSocketServer, not of
> ClientThread. ClientThread extends TThread, for controling every
> connection, every client socket.

Anne,
        I was talking about the TWSocketThrdServer, not the TWSocketServer, I
am very sorry for the confusion.  I thought that since you were
determined to using threads, why would you not use the component that
was designed for this, encapsulating all that the ThrdSrv_V1/V2
examples show?  The examples for ThrdSrv_V1 and ThrdSrv_V2 where
written before TWSocketThrdServer was made.  ThrdSrv_V3 was then made
for the TWSocketThrdServer.  Apparently the interface of both
components is different and I am sorry for causing confusion on this.

        I am not familiar with TWSocketServer in a multi-threaded use, but the
demo applications show how to use it.  To send data to all the clients,
you must be aware of thread synchronization:  each client is running on
its own ClientThread, so it is not safe to access them from the main
thread using the TWSocket.Clients collection.  The first demo shows
this, I believe, by sending the Welcome Banner from the main thread.

        Are you absolutely sure that you need multiple threads for your
clients?  I encountered the same complexity a week ago and was finally
convinced that my application did not need the multiple threads, and
switched to using TWSocketServer on a single thread (my application
spawns a worker thread for the server, but it runs within that
context), and everything became easier and simpler -- yet its still
fast and able to cope with many hundreds of concurrent clients.  If
your clients need to do some very extensive processing that may block
the rest of the clients, then perhaps it would be better to have the
client itself spawn a worker thread to perform the processing.  That
way the synchronicity issues are contained within the client, instead
of having to complicate the server with various threads.

>  If the server has connected three clients, is there 3 TThrdSrvClient
> or 3 ClientThread?
> TThrdSrvClient is:

There are three of each:  Three ClientThreads, each with one
TThrdSrvClient attached.  The TWSocketThrdServer component can handle
more than one client per thread, so depending on your configuration,
all clients may be attached to the same thread, or to different ones
(the default is one client per thread).

> Is there some help page over how to use the TWSocketServer?

I know this sounds trite, but the demo applications and the source
code, are your best help.  Not to mention this very list.  There have
been various documentation projects started in the past, and most of
them are available from the OverByte web site, but none of them are
complete or comprehensive.  There is currently a Wiki project, but it
needs volunteers, and it is far from completed.  Of course, you are
welcome to contribute to the Wiki and post instructions, samples, or
help topics based on your experiences.  Just contact Francois for an
account.

        dZ.

--
        DZ-Jay [TeamICS]