*From:* br...@brianleach.co.uk
*To:* 'U2 Users List' <u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
*Date:* 11/22/2012 9:22 AM
*Subject:* Re: [U2] converting D3 to UniData
As others have said, it largely depends on how vanilla your d3 application
is.

Things like the %-operations in FlashBasic will need special treatment as
will any user exits, there are equivalents to %open() in the socket api and
the sequential file operations but they will need converting over. Obviously
if you're using the header files in dm and such like, they will need
converting.

At the file system level you don't have the structural files like SYSTEM
(UniVerse has a near equivalent in UV.ACCOUNT) and the VOC which is the
equivalent of the MD is a regular file, so MD and DICT MD are not the same.
File and field names are case sensitive as is searching in the enquiry
language.

If you're using dictionaries, UniData (unlike UniVerse) only supports the
PRIME style and doesn't have the implicit fields *A1 etc.
Controlling/dependent series are handled as associations, and T-correlatives
become TRANS() functions that use regular delimiters between values when
passed multivalued keys. More legible, though.

Q pointers will also cause problems, these need to be changed to F types on
UniData (supported on UniVerse though).

There are differences in the enquiry language but many of these can be
sorted by setting the UDT.OPTIONS which are runtime flags determining how
certain operations work.

Integration with the underlying OS is generally quite different, e.g. you
can't use the copy (d)os: command, you would just create a file pointer to a
directory.

The middleware of choice is UniObjects, much nicer than the D3 equivalents
IMHO but again not compatible.

These are just the first things off the top of my head - basically there are
lots of little things to consider, but all surmountable given time and a
good test bed.

Note that you can download personal editions of both UniVerse and UniData
from the Rocket website to become familiar before you start to get in too
deep.

Brian