From: Robert Colquhoun
To: U2 Users Discussion List
Sent: 3/30/2004 7:01 PM
Subject: RE: Modern Universe (TESTING)

Hello Dave,

At 09:36 AM 31/03/2004, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>However, one thing I did want to address is your QUAD processor point.
>You've made it a few times, and I just had to point out that it is
>irrelevant to the discussion.  While UV will take native advantage of
>multi-processors in it's execution, a single query executed by a single
>user, especially such as that listed, will execute on a single
processor, so
>no benefits will be seen for being on a QUAD (or a 64-way) machine.

Just curious about the above - why does it have to be that way?

You are reading in groups one at a time and then merging them into the
main
list.  Surely you can have at least one thread read in the records(as
this
takes a long time) and at least one other do an insertion sort on the
group
and a merge sort on the main list simultaneously.

If you use a merge sort you should be able to break it into how many
ever
processors are available then merge each processors final sub-list
together
to get the result.

  - Robert