Hi Devin Ulibarri!

On 2016-05-27 21:38, Devin Ulibarri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am a music teacher and one of my gigs is teaching for New England
> Conservatory (NEC) in Boston, MA.
>
> I dream of bringing free/libre software to the school for a number of
> reasons, and am coming up with a strategy for what would be most
> effective. My thought is a partnership of some sort between Ubuntu
> Studio and NEC might be worth looking into. My colleagues are willing to
> listen to me an the idealogical reasons why bringing software libre to
> the school would be nice, but the conversation always ends with "Okay,
> that was a great talk, but now what? How do we actualize all these great
> ideas you preach?"
>
> Does anyone have ideas on how to do this?

Dreams, ideas and visions are the mandatory ingredients to any change.
Many of us share this dream with you, i for one do. It is a steep path
upwards you are taking, but i believe it is absolutely possible to reach
your goal! Or put differently, thanks for reviving that hopeful nerve in
me by reaching out to the list like this :)

> If we can get a game plan together, I am confident that I could get an
> in-person meeting with the president or one of the deans at the school.

Ubuntu and ultimately Ubuntu Studio is backed by Canonical [1]. Before i
got involved in the project, i turned to Ubuntu Studio with a similar
vision to yours [2], thinking that there would be lots of potential,
energy and will available. But now that i have insight i must inform you
that, while all those ingredients are here, Ubuntu Studio in itself is
_very_ small team. In fact, as the team looks right now, if we dedicated
ourselves to a project like you are proposing, we would have little to
no time to release new versions. Please rest assured i am not trying to
discourage you, but i also have to be realistic. Most of the team
resides in Europe ATM, it might not be much of a problem thanks to how
Internet works, but meeting with the president/deans of your school will
become logistically difficult. Especially if there is no promise of
outcome yet. However, i am sure that if you can arrange such a meeting
in a way that would allow some of us to go +/-0 on expenses, many of us
will come with pleasure.

> Things NEC would be interested in:
> * Pedagogical Implications (I can help with this greatly. I helped
> develop Music Blocks software with Sugar Labs, for example. musicblocks.net)
> * Price savings (of course)
> * Having their name on something (maybe copyright on some sound-fonts
> that faculty help to create)
> * A greater association that their school is "with the times" tech-wise
> (unlike Berklee, NEC is stuck in middle-ages tech-wise and struggles
> with its image in this area to a great degree)

All this is nice and probably achievable. I would be very prudent with
what kind of copyright you want to involve and how you present it.
Copyright is a seemingly vague yet scalpel sharp but strange legal
territory. FOSS and GNU/Linux is forged in a quite new and
ground-breaking vision of how copyright should operate. I'm underlining
this because how you let them
> * Having their name on something
could have very counter productive effects on your plan, or make it
plain incompatible with FOSS on a legal level.

> Any Additional thoughts? Is this a project that Ubuntu Studio would be
> interested in taking on?

Change is scary for many, and a change in OS is ultimately vowed to put
the current computer administrators of your school in a position where
they are going to feel threatened: what will they do if their skill-sets
become obsolete? A good way forward could be to find a way to include
them into this change and to engage any eventual detractor into a
constructive process. How to do that, i don't really know yet but i'd
gladly brainstorm with you about it. :)
When it comes to:
> * Price savings
Put the numbers flat on paper for your people to see.

Last but not least: we are open for you to become a part of Ubuntu
Studio.[3] We can provide you with a like-minded community, tools,
brain-craft, encouragements, ideas and a platform to shape and sharpen
your plan. Basically what i am saying is that you could become a member
of the PR-[4] and documentation teams, working on a master-strategy for
the implementation of Ubuntu Studio in schools.

> Thanks,
> Devin

Welcome to Ubuntu Studio Devin! And feel free to bounce ideas here!

--
Set Hallstrom aka sakrecoer

[1] http://www.canonical.com/
[2]