I have been part of partnerships and similar things involving students contributing to open source, or using them. This is actually not as hard as everyone is making it to be. :D To me important things are:

1) Ubuntu studio wouldn't have their label (obviously)
2) they could contribute (as already said) sound files and works that are labeled to be NES, as well as tutorials. (MOOCs or videos of lectures anyone?) Assuming everything being creative commons. preferably CC-SA. I don't see that as advertisement. Unlike a nestle soundfont where somebody else would be creating the soundfont, the New England conservatory would be actually making the said soundfont. 3) Their students can have experience creating music that is in creative commons, and optionally give feedback and file bugs so that contributing back to the community is part of the experience. 4) I assume the whole talking to the dean, aspect that they see this as a making a business deal with a commercial company to use their software. In this case, it is completely unnecessary. Ubuntu studio is open source and free. They don't need to make a business deal with us to use it. 5) I do actually wonder if this couldn't begin small. E.g. one class on open source music software, then gradually move from there, rather than trying to switch suddenly. (If I am understanding this correctly)

Just some thoughts on the topic.

autumna