Hi Ted,

You've been incredibly helpful, on this whole project. Thanks for that.

Part of my problem was that I was avoiding installing the full UMLS
distribution because of storage, and then had a lot of trouble getting it
downloaded, installed, and set up on my computer! But having access to the
UMLS::Interface and UMLS::Similarity scripts is really helpful.

I'm now at a more specific use of the UMLS in my project. I have a list of
drugs with their disease indications (*most *map to a CUI term) and then
for each drug I have predicted a list of disease for which the drugs could
be used. I want to know "how semantically similar" are my predictions to
the original diseases (to check how often my algorithm is "right").

There are few bugs in that for some reason, some diseases return an error
that a CUI doesn't exist, even though, I can find a CUI for the disease in
my umls database:

*getChildren.pl 'type 2 diabetes mellitus (t2d)'...Input type 2 diabetes
mellitus (t2d) does not exist in this view of the UMLS.*
I also don't always get a match between diseases that I think are
semantically similar, is this just a product of how the hierarchy works? I
would like to capture these as matches if possible!

*Hormone receptor positive malignant neoplasm of breast (C1562029) & Breast
Carcinoma (C0678222) = -1*
Also, because I am new to perl, I have been using the --infile option (for
instance with getAssociatedCuis.pl script), piping the output to a text
file and then using Python to awkwardly extract the disease -> CUI
mappings. Is there a better way to do this? Ideally, I could implement a
tiered system for checking matches where I look for an exact match, look
for a matched parent or child term, and then as a last resort look for
matched words (because the of the breast cancer example).

Any and all advice is much appreciated. Thank you!

--
Jennifer L. Wilson
Bioengineering, Stanford University
    • Re: [umls-s... duluth...@gmail.com [umls-similarity]