Hi Jen,

I'm going to answer your question in a few notes maybe over the next few
days...so your first problem with finding a term is not unusual - sometimes
small variations in a term can cause a lookup to fail. I usually try to
work with Cuis as a result. In your example for whatever reason the (t2d)
seems to be causing a problem - when I omit that things seem to work ok...

More soon!
Ted

tpederse@maraca:~$ getAssociatedCuis.pl 'type 2 diabetes mellitus'

UMLS-Interface Configuration Information:
(Default Information - no config file)

  Sources (SAB):
     MSH
  Relations (REL):
     PAR
     CHD

  Sources (SABDEF):
     UMLS_ALL
  Relations (RELDEF):
     UMLS_ALL

The CUIs associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus are:
1. C0011860
tpederse@maraca:~$ getAssociatedCuis.pl 'type 2 diabetes mellitus (t2d)'

UMLS-Interface Configuration Information:
(Default Information - no config file)

  Sources (SAB):
     MSH
  Relations (REL):
     PAR
     CHD

  Sources (SABDEF):
     UMLS_ALL
  Relations (RELDEF):
     UMLS_ALL

No CUIs are associated with type 2 diabetes mellitus (t2d).

tpederse@maraca:~$ getChildren.pl 'type 2 diabetes mellitus'

UMLS-Interface Configuration Information:
(Default Information - no config file)

  Sources (SAB):
     MSH
  Relations (REL):
     PAR
     CHD

  Sources (SABDEF):
     UMLS_ALL
  Relations (RELDEF):
     UMLS_ALL

The children of type 2 diabetes mellitus (C0011860) are:
  lipoatrophic diabetes (C0011859)
tpederse@maraca:~$ getChildren.pl 'type 2 diabetes mellitus (t2d)'

UMLS-Interface Configuration Information:
(Default Information - no config file)

  Sources (SAB):
     MSH
  Relations (REL):
     PAR
     CHD

  Sources (SABDEF):
     UMLS_ALL
  Relations (RELDEF):
     UMLS_ALL

Input type 2 diabetes mellitus (t2d) does not exist in this view of the
UMLS.