soundcheck wrote:
> Why don't you provide your patches to the mainline folks?

Erm.... Because they are not *MY* patches..... I didn't write the
code.....

Other people are working on getting the necessary patches into a state
where "upstream" will accept them. It's a chicken and egg situation. As
I said before, the first thing that needs to get "upstreamed" is the
Emilio DMA driver. (Cyclic DMA transfers needed for audio driver.) Then
the actual audio drivers will be submitted for upstream approval. I
don't know what the exact status is, but that DMA patch has been
submitted several times to the linux-arm-kernel mailing list for review
and still hasn't been accepted AFAIK. Does that mean it is experimental
or the code doesn't work.... No! Does it mean that in some way, shape or
form, the upstream reviewers require something to be changed, to conform
to their preferred way of doing things......

Soundcheck.... I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but unlike some of
the other ARM hardware, the people working on SUNXI are not paid to do
so. (AllWinner themselves, appear to have little interest in
accelerating mainline support.) They are hobby people, working in their
spare time, not sponsored by AllWinner. This is why progress is slower
than it is for some other SoC's, when it comes to getting stuff
"upstreamed". (Some vendors employ people to write code, specifically to
get it into mainline early, rather than just base on, and stick to a
specific version of the kernel, which gets "older" by the day.) And the
AllWinner people haven't exactly encouraged more people to join in, and
donate their time, with the GPL violations.....

I agree it is awkward that it isn't all upstream, but the patches are
out there, have been submitted to either sunxi or linux-arm-kernel
mailing lists, and can easily be obtained by eg. cloning that codekipper
git tree, that I already mentioned.