This is largely due to unicode support in everything, as I understand it. This
performance hit is, I think, completely understandable. But there definitely
is/was something else going on when developing under Windows. As other threads
have amply demonstrated, V9 introduced a massive performance hit, and it's my
understanding that those issues have been somewhat or wholly addressed in
9.0.2.

I will be corrected if inaccurate.

Bob S