I added the external data source code a number of years back, and we
chose not to document it because we wanted to have the opportunity to
iterate on the interface but it was considered to be production-ready.
In retrospect I think we could have documented it as the API does have
a mechanism for versioning, and arguably we still might want to doc it
as I've seen it used a few times over the years, even without
documentation. My experience with the code was that it wasn't getting
in the way, i.e. it wasn't expensive to maintain and has test coverage
for what it currently offers.

An alternative approach to removing this code might be: review the
original design/API, create more specific improvement tasks (smaller
items may good for aspiring contributors), and document it. Seeing as
I have some context on this work, I'd be happy to help with this.

-mj