Kathy's patch was exposing metrics, which is fairly different because it
was exposing metrics from the backend. The java data source would have just
had to call back into C++. It also needed to run on every backend, so would
have required extending the data source API. That might be an argument for
a C++ data source API (or at least a well-defined interface for
implementing system tables as classes in C++, which it was heading towards).

IIRC MJ had a very old prototype of using the external data source to
expose local catalog state (which is all Java).