On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 11:38 AM, Daniel Hecht <dhe...@cloudera.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 9:18 AM, Marcel Kornacker <marc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> What is gained by removing the code?
>>

> The motivation was that we should always be looking for opportunities to
> remove code, since we can't just keep adding or else the complexity of
> Impala will get out of control over the long term.  This was an opportunity
> to remove ~5k lines, which is a nice benefit if the feature wasn't being
> used.

I agree that "we can't just keep adding or else the complexity of
Impala will get out of control over the long term." Thanks for
bringing up that benefit, Dan.

MJ suggested: "An alternative approach to removing this code might be:
review the original design/API, create more specific improvement tasks
(smaller items may good for aspiring contributors), and document it.
Seeing as I have some context on this work, I'd be happy to help with
this."

One option would be for us to see how that effort progresses in the
3.x line. If it falters, we could re-evaluate at 4.x branching time.
If we decide to remove it, I would suggest we deprecate it then, in
4.x, and remove it in 5.0.