Yeah, my old prototype was catalog metadata only, and written as Java
code. However, I don't think exposing a C++ API would require
significant changes to the existing external data source architecture.
In fact, it should be reasonably straightforward because there is
already a C++ data source scan node class which just calls directly
into Java right now, but that could be made conditional on the data
source extension that was loaded.