I tried setting the default-action-ref in struts.xml as below. That didn't
work. Also, I tried placing the properties in the package.properties that
didn't work either. Do I need to do any setting for package.properties to work.
Tried placing it within the "com.xxx.actions" and outside as well.

        <package name="test_default" extends="struts-default"
namespace="/"><result-types>                  <result-type name="tiles"
class="org.apache.struts2.views.tiles.TilesResult" />

</result-types>
<default-action-ref name="login"/>
<action name="testPortal" >
                  <result type="tiles">login</result>

</action>
<action name="login" class="com.xxx.actions.LoginAction">