On Dec 16, 2008, at 2:54 PM, Todd Thiessen wrote:

They are more powerful in the sense that you can still call any goal
independantly

But if I have two tasks implemented with AntRun, there's no way to call them independently because there's only one goal: run. I guess most of my problems boil down to the limitations of the AntRun plugin.

Perhaps the doxia plugin would work?

http://maven.apache.org/doxia/book/index.html

That plugin is fine if you want to use DocBook as a source for Doxia, but it's not designed for stand-alone documentation created using DocBook and the DocBook XSL stylesheets. The Xslt task in Ant works great for that, though.

Not sure what you are doing in your profile that solves your issue
though. If you give some further info on this, perhaps some of the more
experieced Maven users can provide you with a pure Maven solution.

Let me use a different plugin as an example. Let's say I'm developing a desktop application, and it runs in two different modes depending on the command-line options. I don't want to keep typing in the same long string of options all the time, so I pickle them into two separate Ant targets, "mode1" and "mode2". Then I can run them like this:

ant mode1
ant mode2

How would I accomplish this in Maven? There's the exec plugin, but it has only one goal (exec:java). There's no way to run the application in two different ways with just that one goal. Not without profiles, that is. With profiles, I can create two profiles, "mode1" and "mode2", and define an exec plugin in each one. Then I can run them like this:

mvn -Pmode1 exec:java
mvn -Pmode2 exec:java

So there's an example where profiles have nothing to do with build portability and are playing the same role as Ant targets.

If you wish to run something independently, you don't need ant or Maven
for this. Run run the executable.

Isn't that like saying Ant or Maven aren't necessary for compiling Java code because you can just run the javac executable? Doesn't make sense...

Trevor