On Thu, 6 Dec 2018 09:15:59 -0800 (PST)
John Hardin wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Dec 2018, Grant Taylor wrote:

> > Would __UNICODE_TEST_FR run / consume resources even if __LANG_FR
> > evaluates to false?
>
> Yes, all the subrules get evaluated. There's no shortcutting because
> a subrule may be used in any number of meta rules.

It's more a case that it's not done because it's not implemented.  __*
rules could, for the most part, be evaluated when they are first needed
in meta rule evaluation and then cached.

IIRC the author of rspamd cites this as the main reason why it's
faster than SpamAssassin. I don't know the details, but I gather it
also does some kind of reordering to minimise the evaluation of
expensive rules.