On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Kai Schaetzl wrote:
Second: you are completely misguided in your wish to reject mail after
SMTP data stage.

You may certainly argue for YOUR preference (and I emphasise *preference*)
for the most 'efficient' way to run an SMTP server, but there is nothing sufficiently 'wrong' with rejecting mail after DATA that you can use the term 'misguided'. All this term implies is your attitude....

Apart from this, you make some nice arguments, but again, you seem to have a bias that weighs them too heavily.

It does not make any sense to process a complete message and then reject it.

If this were true, no one would have added 'header' and 'body' checks to the postfix configuration.... and no one would have been jumping through hoops to find ways to integrate SA into the front end of MTA's....

Indeed, it makes far LESS sense to have a system accept mail but send it to a spam folder. That practice leaves the sender with the mistaken impression that their mail was sucessfully delivered. And argue as you will, there is simply no way to get a broad user base to adopt the habit of reviewing a spam folder. I mean the whole point of filtering is that the user no longer has to sift through a pile of junk, right?

Processing a message takes CPU power and precious SMTP time. Doing that at SMTP stage means you cannot take in as much mail as you could. It also means that the sending MTA cannot send as much mail as it could.

Think about that statement twice. It IS correct, but it is an argument FOR processing mail at SMTP time. A legitimate outbound SMTP sever is *never* as busy as an incoming mail server. So a leigitimate server will not suffer *any* penalty from my system introducing a 5-6 second delay into the SMTP transaction. But a spammer's zombie is trying to pump out mail as fast as it can. The spambot will be slowed down. That is a GOOD thing. Yes? :)

There are other reasons not to do this, for instance legal ones.

Again, you are quoting arguments that favor SMTP reject. It is better to reject a mail, so that legitimate senders know it, rather than have them believe it was delivered when it was sent into a spam folder, perhaps suffer consequences and then sue the recipient. Sure, OUR butts will be covered by our user agreements, but only if we have jumped through hoops so that the user cannot claim they did not "know" about their spam folder. But in the real world, even if we don't get sued, we get a lot of people complaining that they didn't know about the optional spam folder on our system that the user turned ON themselves! Now we use a spam folder for 'borderline' spams that score 5-10. The rest get rejected at SMTP time. But still I get these occasional complaints.... It's just the way users are.... LOL

The idea is not to "punish" the other side because it sends spam.

If they send spam, I'm happy to see them "punished". If they send legitimate mail, they should not be "punished" for the actions of spammers by having to GUESS whether their mail made it through.

The idea behind a rejection at SMTP stage is twofold: avoid unnecessary
processing and avoid unncessary traffic. None of that is achieved if you take a whole message, scan it and reject it at SMTP stage.

Well, firstly, ALL of that is achieved *regardless* of these arguments because the helo/rbl checks are done BEFORE the DATA stage. The only 'loss' of time is on mail that you were going to have to fully process anyway because it made it past those checks. No loss to me. A few seconds delay on the SMTP connectino that saves a legitimate sender worry without incurring the 'cost' of backscatter, and actually might slow spammers down a bit..... Maybe I personally don't gain any time. But maybe by the end of the day the spammer doesn't get to send quite as many e-mails, and someone out there enjoys less traffic on their server!

- Charles