On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Andy Dorman wrote:
So even if we can decide an email is spam before the DATA stage, it makes no difference since we have to store the thing for a while anyway in case the user wants to look for something caught that shouldn't be.

(nod) To rely on this methodology requires that you *rely* upon your
users to apply a conscientious and consistent system of reviewing their
spam trap/folder on a regular basis. If you have this, then without sarcasm I would say you are very fortunate.

But in a system like mine where educating ignorant users is difficult at best, it feels a bit too dangerous to allow (too much) mail to be received and held without notice to the sender. And unfortunately SMTP protocols do not contain a code to tell the sender that mail was 'accepted but held for review'. The only way to do that is with a separate mail, and that leads back to the backscatter horrorshow, which I am quite sure you would never advocate.... :)

So for us (and we recognize not for everyone), the policy/practice we have chosen is the most workable and efficient. I think the only reason I leaped into this thread was because of the overbearing attitudes that seemed to completely ignore the fundamental notion of YMMV....

- C