On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, David Morton wrote:
Charles Gregory wrote:
Indeed, it makes far LESS sense to have a system accept mail but send it
to a spam folder.
Maybe in your particular situation, but you can hardly apply that to
everyone

(nod) It was subject to the conditions I consider 'wide spread' but by no means universal: the failure of users to review spamtraps.

- since we are supporting several large companies that find it
more acceptable to quarantine mail than to reject it, and *have* trained
their employees to look in a spam folder in the rare case that it is needed.

Stop it! You're making me jealous! LOL

If postfix and amavisd-new have improvements lately that allow for
efficient rejecting at SMTP time, that's great!

The only efficiency to be gained is to reject as much as possible after the RCPT_TO, before accepting DATA. But for systems like mine, with lousy user cooperation, rejecting some of the mail after DATA is still the best option.

Again, I emphasise 'some', and only speak out because someone is describing any approach other than their own as 'misguided'. You are not misguided, and neither am I. We just have different situations.

Hmm... "policy".  Sounds a lot like a feature of postfix, doesn't it?

LOL... And not at all 'misguided'.... :)

- C