Hi there!

I’m making a research about  internet banking and e-commerce good practices
to design a secure system.

I have an application based on servlets running in a Tomcat Server. My
application provides secure authentication based in both methods: SSL mutual
authentication and form authentication(supplied by Tomcat). All the data
that is sent over the network are encrypted(SSL).

In my research I discovered that some systems banks that using applications
based on servlets( or something based on servlets, like JSP and other
things), are using a Web Server like ISS, over a Servlet Container( like Sun
Web Server, or possibly Tomcat Server). Why that’s happen? Why we have a Web
Server over another Web Server, if the low-level Web Server is capable to do
everything alone?

In my application, client authentication and authorization is controlled by
Tomcat Server. Should use I a Apache Server over Tomcat or an IIS server
over Tomcat? What kind of security am I providing doing this?

My research is in the beginning and the documentation about it is vague, so
I apologize if I’m saying something wrong.

Regards,

Bárbara Vieira