Bárbara Vieira wrote:
I understand your perspective. But, my question is about security. Why
systems banks use an IIS Server instead of an Apache Server over a Tomcat
Server(or some servlet container), if that systems authenticate the client
using servlets technology or some technology supplied by some servlet
container like Tomcat?

I understand the fact that systems uses a Web Server over another to serve
static content. But if in my application all content is closed, i.e., every
client that wants to accede to that content must be authenticated and that
authentication is controlled by Tomcat. Should I have some Web Server over
Tomcat? I think that if I have an Apache Server over Tomcat, it causes an
overhead, because all requests sent to Apache, must be sent to Tomcat.
There's no simple answer. Running apache in front of tomcat has advantages:

   * load balancing / failover
   * static content handling (I know, tomcat behaves better and better,
     but some people want to have apache handle this)
   * easy integration of webapps from remote hosts
   * probably more...

Easy integration of webapps from remote hosts: it's trivial (thanks to mod_jk or mod_proxy_ajp) to have one apache based virtual host with several remote apps /app1 /app2 /app3 /app4 running on different tomcat servers instead of one giantic tomcat server running all of them in one JVM.

--
Mikolaj Rydzewski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>