Bárbara,

Am Tue, 8 Jan 2008 13:53:11 -0000
schrieb Bárbara Vieira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I understand your perspective. But, my question is about security. Why
> systems banks use an IIS Server instead of an Apache Server over a
> Tomcat Server(or some servlet container)
[...]

For what I have seen about online banking systems around here, some of
them do use an IIS to do their web hosting (eventually by making use of
some internal CMS to actually include/edit content) but the actual
banking solution they do use is a J(2)EE application in some app
server. In such a scenario, they are required to somehow create an
"integrated" environment (with a behaviour seamless to the user), to
somehow "linking", say, IIS and the J(2)EE app server / servlet
container.

> I understand the fact that systems uses a Web Server over another to
> serve static content. But if in my application all content is closed,
> i.e., every client that wants to accede to that content must be
> authenticated and that authentication is controlled by Tomcat.

There's more to security than just authentication. In our environment,
the tomcat installations are on production servers in our LAN
fully accessible to our internal users desktop clients (including some
more services for document / file access), and "external" access (from
the "outside" internet) is done via an apache2 reverse proxy living in
a DMZ segment. This way, I can keep people from directly accessing my
productive systems, which is helpful to say the very least. ;)

Cheers,
Kristian

--
Kristian Rink * http://zimmer428.net * http://flickr.com/photos/z428/
jab: [EMAIL PROTECTED] * icq: 48874445 * fon: ++49 176 2447 2771